Few people can resist the sweet temptation of a dessert, especially when we eat out and do not have to prepare it ourselves, so it is usually a dish consumed regularly in any restaurant. In addition, desserts can be a very profitable part of the menu, since on average they usually account for only 10% of the total menu costs.
Since dessert is the last dish consumed in the restaurant, the impression it makes and the sensation it leaves on the diner is key to determining his overall satisfaction with his restaurant experience. It all adds up to create a good impression and keep the diner coming back. A good dessert alone does not guarantee recurrence, but it certainly helps to build customer loyalty. That is why it is very important to make good desserts and these keys will help you to do so.
Conceptualization of dessert
To elaborate a good dessert it is essential to have a concept behind it that helps to differentiate each proposal. We need to incorporate flavors that transmit and transport diners to a different flavor universe, that surprise and make them want to repeat.
Innovation is not at odds with tradition and you can rescue lifelong flavors with an updated concept to differentiate our desserts. Often it is enough to adapt traditional preparations to current trends. Highlights the healthy baking which, among other things, is committed to making desserts with a lower sugar content, which can be supplemented with the use of spices. Nor can we forget the fusion between sweet and savory, which allows us to create original and rich flavors.
Although the variety of ingredients that can be used in desserts is almost infinite, it is not necessary to use very elaborate products to achieve extraordinary results. Starting with simple ingredients, we can obtain surprising results. if we combine them wisely and work them properly. It is only necessary to find the balance between aromas, textures, flavors and colors to surprise and seduce.
Desserts are characterized by a careful selection of ingredients that complement each other and having quality ingredients will be the basis for delicious results. It is important to work with products that have the organoleptic and functional characteristics that allow us to achieve professional results.. Cream cheese is a very common ingredient in many sweet recipes, that’s why Quescrem offers a wide range of different types of cream cheese.
products for professionals
specially designed for the independent hotel and catering trade and organized catering.
The seasonal ingredients can also be very useful when making desserts. The same recipe can vary considerably if prepared with different seasonal products (chestnut cheesecake, raspberry cheesecake, blackberry cheesecake…). This allows us to prepare limited editions that have greater freshness and added value for diners.
Combination of dimensions and textures
Beyond flavor, textures are a fundamental element in the perception of a dessert. You can use different techniques to obtain varied textures that offer an exquisite experience in each bite. Some of the most common dimensions that we can find in desserts are:
- Cream. These elaborations based on cream, milk or cream cheese can be a dessert in itself or be the base of other preparations, either in the form of curdled or liquid creams.
- Crunchy. These ingredients break down in the mouth with little effort and work very well because they are often associated with fresh, casual flavors. It has been proven that both the texture and the sound they produce cause a sensation of pleasure when consumed. Any dessert must contain in its fair share of crunchiness in some of its parts.
- Foam. The air in the bubbles allows the aromas of each production process to be better appreciated. Depending on the emulsifying ingredient used, they can provide greater or lesser consistency both hot and cold.
- Gelifieds. It is a healthy and natural option, a source of protein and fat-free, made from fruit juices or purees and/or liquor that provides consistency and stability to the elaborations. There are an infinite number of ingredients that make it possible to gel liquids both hot and cold.
- Ice cream. Ice creams and sorbets are usually the protagonist of the dish and offer the possibility of playing with temperatures and textures.
- Sauces. They enhance the flavor of the main ingredient of the dessert and make it juicier.
The combination of these different textures will give each dessert different dimensions that will delight diners. Play and test until the balance is achieved.
The current trend is for dessert plating to be simple yet elegant, avoiding overly ornate presentations. The plating is essential to bring together all the colors, flavors and textures in harmony and to present an orderly and balanced result. Pastry chefs play with different plating techniques to create surprising presentations, always taking into account:
- Balance. The characteristics of each ingredient, shapes, colors, textures and flavors must be taken into account to achieve harmony of all the components. The different elements that make up the dessert can be structured in a linear order or, on the other hand, you can opt for a vertical order, mounting one on top of the other to create different levels.
- Unit. It is important to plate focusing the attention on an important point that we want to highlight in order to integrate around it the other elements that make up the dish in a cohesive way.
- Height. We can play with the height of the composition and give prominence to reliefs and shapes that make each dessert more attractive.
- Focal point. This element is an area that attracts attention and serves as a guide for the assembly of the dish, arranging the other ingredients around it.
- Flow. It is a movement that leads the diner through the entire structure. If we opt for a symmetrical balance we will give a sense of balance with the same weight on both sides. On the other hand, if we opt for an asymmetrical presentation, we can take advantage of the difference in dimensions of the different elements that make up the dish.
Creativity and baking skills are all you need to apply all these concepts to your desserts. You can innovate as much as you want (design, ingredients, plating…), but never forget that the taste of your dessert is the most important thing. If you are looking for different ideas, you can find dessert recipes on our website. Play, test and be creative!